Friday, January 10, 2014

Death Threats For Woman Who Showed College Athletes Struggle To Read

UNC students and teachers alike are fired up that Mary Willingham called out just them alone. According to her research, between 8% and 10% of UNC' s 500 student athletes. Why is she so worried about it? Coaches and professors are on top of these things and Roy Williams has put three of his freshman and two sophomore players on the bench until they can bring those scores and reading levels up.

I'm in English class and I can read. And even if I couldn't, I'm pretty sure that some of teachers would help me and see if I could get extra help. Much like Williams and the professors at UNC.

My question to Willingham is why did you single out UNC and file a report on them? Or better yet, is it any of your business? If Roy Williams and all the coaches and professors are working to resolve this problem, leave them alone and let them do what they are paid to do. I'm pretty sure that seemingly perfect schools like Duke and NC State have these problems. UNC had every right to fire back at her for sticking their business out there.

The central idea of the passage is to show that UNC is capable of retaliating and making sure that their students are getting the absolute best education. So if they are working to fix the current problem, then it's simple: Leave UNC and their students alone!



Ganim, Sarah. Death Threats For Woman Who Showed College Athletes Struggle To Read. Article.             CNN. 9 Jan. 2014. Web. 10 Jan. 2014. <http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/ncaa-athletes-unc-response/index.html?hpt=hp_t3>


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, how come she has to get involved in something that has nothing to do with her? I really like the way you made this your complete opinion. To me, it's more interesting that way. The only thing I suggest is to add more detail about he actual article. Your opinion is obviously important, but so are the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your point that she shouldn't have gotten involved since it had nothing to do with her. While the topic is a good topic, the sentence "According to her research, between 8% and 10% of UNC' s 500 student athletes" makes no sense and i couldn't understand it.

    ReplyDelete